The Western Courtyard with the Narthex
The spacious chequered paving before the narthex provides a useful meeting place where the faithful who come to worship may greet their fellow Christians in the Name of the Lord.
On the left is a Calvary standing on the base of local Sarawak granite beneath a gable of billian shingle. The figure was carved by an Iban Christian from Saribas whose son is both a priest and a Canon of the Cathedral.
The Narthex or porch is unique in its was and with its fluted sides and iron grille work adds to the appearance of length and gives an appearance of solidarity to the west end. The Narthex was given by Mr. Ong Guan Ann as a thanks offering.
The Bell Tower
The Bell Tower is the most prominent feature of the exterior. Its rises to a height of 84 feet and carries a cross 24 feet in height which predominates over Kuching town and which is floodlit every evening nights. The tower itself houses a peal of eight bells cast by the famous Taylor Foundry at Loughborough, London.
The tablet commemorating the laying of the foundation stone in 1952 by Her Royal Highness, Princess Marina, The Duchess of Kent is placed in the base of the tower. The inscription reads:
To the Glory of God
This foundation stone was laid by
Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent
C.I. G.C.V.O. G.B.E. on the
Fifteenth Day of October 1952
The tower is the gift of Siawe Ah Khoon in memory of his beloved parents Siawe Siang Hee and Fong Kee Moi.
Exterior South Wall
On the Exterior South Wall of the Bishop’s vestry, there is a tablet which has been made from marble taken from St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Singapore recording the close ties between the two Dioceses and serves as a tangible tribute of affection of a daughter to her mother, for the Diocese of Labuan and Sarawak included for some years the territory of the Diocese of Singapore.
The Seal of the Cathedral Chapter
The heraldic design on the east end is a large replica of a design which has been specially drawn for the seal of the Cathedral Chapter. Its motif is the carpenter’s ruler, the lance and the arrows. These are the emblems of Saint Thomas the Apostle, Patron Saint of the Cathedral.
The tradition is that Thomas was martyred by having darts and lance thrust through his body. The carpenter’s rule is symbolic of the old legend that a heathen Indian King knowing that Saint Thomas was a builder gave him much silver and gold to build a magnificent palace. Saint Thomas gave away all the money to the sick and poor and told the angry King that his charity had built for him a palace in heaven.
This plaque is painted in Diocesan colours of red, black and gold.